Highlights of Snapdragon 875:
- Snapdragon 875 will come with the new X60 5G modem and Adreno 660 graphics processor.
- There is no information yet on how much improvements it will bring over the Snapdragon 865.
- The Snapdragon 875 chipset will power most of the flagship Android smartphones of 2021.
Qualcomm has recently launched its flagship mobile processor Snapdragon 865. Due to ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the company has dropped the plan to design Snapdragon 865+. Now, the company is directly going to designed next-generation Snapdragon 875 processor.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 875 SoC (Code – SM8350) will comes with the new X60 5G modem-RF support. The chipset will be made on 5nm architecture. It will be the smallest in size ever. It will bring improvement in performance as well as in graphics along with greater efficiency over the Snapdragon 865 processor. Further, it reveals that the Snapdragon 875 processor will have Adreno 660 GPU combined with Adreno 1095 DPU. Adreno 665 GPU will also available which will be paired with the Spectra 580 Image Signal Processing (ISP) engine.
Snapdragon 875 may also feature Snapdragon Sensors Core Technology, a Compute Hexagon digital signal processor (DSP) combination of Hexagon Vector extensions and a Hexagon Tensor Accelerator. There may be a low-power audio subsystem with Aqstic’s and audio codec including other features like external 802.11ax, 2×2 MIMO, Bluetooth Milan, 3G/ 4G/ 5G modem mm-Wave and sub-6 GHz bands. This SoC also supports high-speed LPDDR5 SD RAM.
Let’s look at the following key features and specifications what might be getting in Snapdragon 875:
- Kryo-685 CPU based on Arm v8 Cortex tech
- 3G/ 4G/ 5G modem – mm-Wave and sub-6 GHz bands
- Adreno 660 GPU, Adreno 665 VPU, Adreno 1095 DPU
- Qualcomm Secure Processing Unit (SPU250)
- Spectra 580 Image Processing System
- Snapdragon Sensors Core Technology
- External 802.11ax, 2×2 MIMO, and Bluetooth Milan
- Compute Hexagon DSP with Hexagon Vector extensions and Hexagon Tensor Accelerator
- Quad-channel package-on-package (PoP) high-speed LPDDR5 SDRAM
- Low power audio subsystem combined with Aqstic Audio Technologies and audio codec
Though there are no official updates, Qualcomm is expected to launch Snapdragon 875, its first 5nm flagship chipset sometime later this year. Snapdragon 875 will launch in December if Qualcomm will maintain its annual schedule. Due to coronavirus pandemic, the launch may be pushed back to 2021. But, at the moment it cannot be said.