Coronavirus is an ongoing pandemic disease which is caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). It was first seen in Wuhan, Hubei, China in December 2019. World Health Organization (WHO) recognize this disease as a pandemic on 11th March 2020. Here are the basics signs and symptoms of Coronavirus(COVID-19)
The virus is spreading from one person to another via respiratory droplets produced during coughing. Primarily it spreads by close contact between two or more persons. Common symptoms are fever, cough, and shortness of breath. That’s why it is quite difficult to identify the disease at an early stage. In between two to fourteen days it will set up and then comes into action. There is no vaccine or specific antiviral treatment until now. Primary treatment is symptomatic and supportive therapy. To prevent the spreading of the virus the government takes a step to restrict the traveling, quarantines, curfews, and event postponed or cancellation, etc. to stop the gathering of peoples as much as they can. Schools, colleges, offices either government or private, temples and other religious places all are closed and all the official works are done from home. Sports and other events, either postponed or canceled due to the prevention of this pandemic virus. Everyone is requested to stay home. Without any urgent do not go outside. Only grocery shops, medical shops, and vegetable shops are kept open in the morning hours. Polices are coming out for giving round and looking if anyone is not moving here & there without any reason.
It is an infectious disease caused by a newly discovered coronavirus (novel coronavirus). It is spreading via cough, close contact, etc. World Health Organization (WHO) named it COVID-19.
“CO” stands for “Corona”;
“VI stands for “virus”
“D” stands for “disease”
while “19” is for the year.
From the last update on 26th March 2020, it is seen that the coronavirus cases has reached 488,055 viewing all the 190 countries where the number of death is 22,049 and number of recoveries is 117,603.
In India, the number of infected has reached 695 where total death is 14 in numbers.
- Dry cough.
Other symptoms include COVID-19:
- Shortness of breath
- Aches and pains
- Sore throat
- And very few people will report diarrhea, nausea or a runny nose.
It is heard that the virus attacks the children and aged peoples as their immunity is less to prevent the disease. People who are healthy should be self-isolated to be kept safe. Peoples with fever, cough, and difficulty in breathing should visit a doctor and take medical attention.
The primary method of spreading remains unknown and we are still learning how it spreads, but it is spreading by close contact and respiratory droplets when people cough, sneeze & may also during breathing. A person is considered at risk if they have traveled to an infected area or have had close contact with an infected person.
For prevention, two ways can be applied. First from the government side which they have already done and second from common people’s side.
To Prevent the virus, the steps of Government:
To prevent the spreading of virus government takes a step to restrict the traveling, quarantines, curfews, and event postponed or cancellation, etc. to stop the gathering of peoples as much as they can. Schools, colleges, offices either government or private, temples and other religious places all are closed and all the official works are done from home. Sports and other events, either postponed or canceled due to the prevention of this pandemic virus. Everyone is requested to stay home. Without any urgent do not go outside. Looking at the situation, the Indian Government announced 21 days shutdown, only grocery shops, medical shops, and vegetable shops are kept open in the morning hours. Polices are patrolling in every single road and looking if anyone is not moving here & there without any reason.
To Prevent the virus, the steps of common peoples:
We, common peoples, also make ourselves a little bit useful to prevent the spreading virus and fight against it in the following ways.
- Hand washing – Hand washing is recommended to prevent the spread of the disease. People should wash their hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds after their homecoming and after going to the toilet, before eating and after coughing, or sneezing. Further, it is told to use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Wearing Mask – it is advised to cover mouth & nose with a mask at the time of outgoing for emergency and also cover mouth & nose at the time of sneezing. Here we want to say that everyone need not wear a mask. Only wear a mask when
- You have symptoms (Cough, fever or difficulty in breathing)
- You are caring for a COVID-19 suspect/confirmed patient.
- You are a health-worker attending to patients with respiratory symptoms.
While wearing a mask, make sure you
- Place the mask over your nose, mouth, and chin and ensure there are no gaps on either side of the mask, adjust to fit.
- Avoid touching the mask, while using it.
- Do not leave the mask hanging from the neck.
- Change the mask after six hours or as soon as they become wet.
- After removal of the mask, clean your hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based hand rub disinfectant.
- Physical Distancing – Physical distancing (also referred to as social distancing) includes infection control to slow down the spreading of disease by minimizing close contact between individuals. Quarantines, travel restrictions and the closing of schools, workplaces, stadiums, theatres, and shopping centers are several methods of physical distancing. If you go out for emergency purpose then maintain 3feet distance one another for your safety as well as for others.
- Self-isolation – self-isolation is too good to prevent the disease. People should aware of this and stay at home. Almost every country has announced shutdown and force people to stay inside their homes. In India, on 22nd March “Janta Curfew” brought in force and from 23rd March Shutdown is started in all States to stop the physical distancing. Only Medicine Shops, Grocery Shop, and Vegetable Shops are kept open at day time only. This shutdown will remain up to 14th April 2020.