Do you know about Gorilla Glass?
Gorilla Glass is a scratch-resistance and durable glass product produced by Corning that is used to protect the screens of tablets, smartphones, and other devices. The lightweight glass is strong and compatible with touchscreen technologies. It is made of a material called alkali-aluminosilicate, which is formed by bonding aluminium, silicon, and oxygen together. You will not find these materials anywhere in nature or rather.
Why many of the smartphone manufacturer companies use it?
I’m sure that you’ve heard of Gorilla Glass. This technology makes the glass more resistant to scratches and makes it durable. Most of us know it because it is applied to smartphones and tablets. Gorilla Glass is also used on other devices.
The advantage of using Gorilla Glass – know about Gorilla Glass Facilities:
- Toughness – It makes tougher and quite hard to break when it drops uncertainly.
- Scratch-resistance – The Glass is so tough and durable that it doesn’t get any scratch due to nails or drops or other ways. It gives a smooth and fine look.
- Thin – The Glass is quite thin (up to 0.4 mm thick) to be used as protecting screens for smartphones and besides its technologies.
- Looks – Gorilla Glass gives a premium look to smartphones besides giving protection.
- Drop Resistance – Gorilla Glass has one more big facility that it can resist up to 80% scratches while falling on the surface.
Different versions of Gorilla Glass – know about gorilla glass:
- Know about Gorilla Glass 1 – The first Gorilla Glass was made in 2005 and 2006. It comes with the iPhone. Later they made it 5 mm thick and added a coating of Oleo-phobic which minimized the fingerprints and smudges.
iPhone was not the only smartphone to have Gorilla Glass, and Corning was able to know about Gorilla Glass & get its technology.
- Know about Gorilla Glass 2 – In 2012, Corning released Gorilla Glass 2. The glass was just as resistance, but it’s main updated was its thickness. The second generation was 20% thicker than the previous one. It could hold 50KG of pressure without cracking and breaking.
In that year, over 600 million devices were including Gorilla Glass, where Nexus 4 and Samsung S3 were not excluded.
- Know about Gorilla Glass 3 – In 2013, Corning comes with another update of Gorilla Glass that is Gorilla Glass 3. It comes with even more resistance and more focused on thickness. It also includes Native Damage Resistance (NDR) which is useful for deeper scratches. The third generation can prevent 35% more scratches.
It came on models like Samsung S4, the Moto G, and the Moto X.
- Know about Gorilla Glass 4 – In 2014, Corning presented its Gorilla Glass with a bold new objective. By the survey, the company came to know that 70% of cell phone screen damage was due to drops, so Corning began investing in reinforcing its glass. So Gorilla Glass 4 was developed focusing on the drop resistance.
You might be interested in:
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 and Asus ZenFone 2 Laser were few devices that came with Gorilla glass fourth generation.
- Know about Gorilla Glass 5 – Gorilla Glass 5 was released focused on providing even more resistance to drop, and it also gave four times stronger than the previous one. In the lab, it survived drops up to 6 meters, but in daily life, it can prevent cracks up to 80% of falls on to the hard surface at the height of 1 meter.
- Know about Gorilla Glass 6 – In 2016, Corning launched Gorilla Glass 6, which is subjected to protective glass with new testing methods. It can withstand continuous 15 drops from 1 meter on to the rough surface. It is twice strong as Gorilla Glass 5 and used in latest flagship smartphones such as Samsung Galaxy S10 and upcoming Series.